The plan is to promote a round trip for tourists that passes through a dozen regional towns north west of Dubbo that includes some that are predominantly Aboriginal, particularly Goodooga, which is in danger of becoming a ghost town.
Some of the attractions on this route are:
- The astronomical telescope at Gilgandra
- The corrugated iron Galah cut-outs at Gulargambone
- The historic Coonamble Post office and John Mitchell's statue.
- Artesian bore baths at Walgett.
- Opal mines in lightning Ridge.
- Wild life on the less travelled road between Goodooga and Brewarrina
- The Brewarrina fish traps and the historic lift bridge.
- The Jandra paddle wheel boat, the Crossley engine and the Bourke fort.
- The Nyngan Pioneer Memorial sculpture of a drover, his dog and a mob of sheep
The plan is to print a promotional pouch featuring these attractions, as well as many other things of interest on this route.
- The Cobb & Co coach at Narromine and the old blacksmith's shop.
Distribution has already been arranged through tourist information centres throughout NSW by Industry & Investment NSW.
$5,000 will be sufficient to complete this project.
A ten point plan to develop Goodooga local commerce and local jobs, based on tourist throughput, has been devised, as well as a conceptual draft of the "The Outback Tourist Loop". Both of these are available on request.
The community of Goodooga, just over 100 kilometres north west of Lightning Ridge, in northwest NSW is in need of economic stimulation. This once thriving small community, of currently about 320 people (approximately 80% Aboriginal), faces a bleak future unless they can do something to rejuvenate their town.
AVERAGE AGE 32
AVERAGE INCOME $322 A WEEK
TOTAL PROPERTIES 129
AVERAGE RENT $55 A WEEK
AVERAGE MORTGAGE $106 A WEEK
AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD SIZE 3.0
Demographic data sets are from the 2006 Australian Census.
The community has come up with this plan that will not only benefit Goodooga, it will also benefit other towns in the region. (This project is already 50% supported by Industry & Investment NSW. The other 50% is needed to put the plan into action.)
Type of Support Needed
A donation of $5,000 to initiate the plan
Type of Mentoring Needed
Amount of Investment Needed
Type of Investment Needed
NSW - State-wide
Most Recently Presented At
First Presented At
For further information